Re: Single vs Multiple Tablespaces?

From: Teresa Larson <tlarson_at_ari.net>
Date: 1997/06/24

Jennifer Hopeman (hopeman_at_seas.smu.edu) wrote:
: I have a dumb oracle question:

Actually, it's a perfectly reasonable question.

: We have a system where we will have two schemas,
: each with a separate but identical set of tables.
: The system will be on a single disk. What are the
: advantages/disadvantages of having separate
: tablespaces for the two sets of tables. For coding
: reasons it would be slightly simpler for us to have
: everything in the same tablespace. Also it will allow
: us to use the entire space for both schemas.
: Will there be a performance difference?

There are two main reasons for separate tablespaces: to spread out I/O and granularity of recovery.

Since your current architecture is pretty limiting, there probably isn't a big reason to separate them at this point in time. But if you want/need to plan for scalability, then separating them into separate tablespaces now will probably make it easier for you to separate them physically in the future if the need and resources for it appear.

				My 2 cents
				Teresa Larson

    /  Teresa A. Larson                 http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ /
   /  Bell Atlantic                          Voice: (301) 282-0224  /
  /  13100 Columbia Pike, A-3-3              Fax:   (301) 282-9416 /
 /  Silver Spring, MD  20904         Teresa.A.Larson_at_bell-atl.com /
                      #include <std_disclaimer>