Re: HOW TO remove ORACLE7 from SCO

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_no-spam.pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/24

LW Abel wrote:

> I inherited a SCO Unix 3.2v5.0.2 box which at one time had oracle7
> on it. It looks like the filesystem was mounted at /dev/oracle --
> but that has been 'whacked' and i can only find several oracle files
> by running 'find / -group dba print' -- eg, /usr/oracle7/...,
> /dev/oracle, /oracle etc.
> I'd like to clean up these 'orphaned' files, but not sure if
> there is a quick way -- besides a fresh reinstall of SCO.
> Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Well, if you are really sure you don't need the files just slap the '-exec rm {}' option on the end of your 'find' and they are history. But I'm sure you already knew this, so I'm sort of missing the point of your question, aren't I? Check that no Oracle instances are running before you do this.

One thing I will say is that '/dev' seems to be a very strange place for oracle to have resided...

Do a backup before you get rid of the files. Also, don't forget to remove the UNIX user 'oracle' and the group 'dba' if you don't need them any more.

Steve Phelan. Received on Tue Jun 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT