Re: Oracle vs. Sybase

From: Jym Dyer <jym_at_igc.org>
Date: 1997/06/24

> [Sybase SQL Server and Microsoft SQL Server] were the same
> product up until about 3 or 4 years ago. They are still VERY
> similar though diverging. At the core they're still close
> enough to be talked of as of the same family.

=o= It's customary not to reopen the wounds of the recently divorced by referring to them as of the same family. :-)

=o= The split happened while Sybase was working on V10 (which at that time was V5, but Microsoft was awarded custody of the number 5). So basically they diverged two major versions ago.

=o= Microsoft claims that their SQL Server was was "built from the ground up for Windows NT Server," so we can assume they would have us believe that it's different at the core from the Sybase code they had (built from the ground up on Unix BSD).

    <_Jym_>

Disclaimer: Speaking only for myself, not for Sybase. Received on Tue Jun 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT