SQL Server 6.5 to Oracle ODBC Replication

From: Rich Holoch <holoch_at_ccnet.com>
Date: 1997/06/20

About 6 months ago, I was able to get replication working between MS SQL Server 6.5 to Oracle 7.3.2. That a was a proof of concept test, and I remember there was one (undocumented) thing that I have to do to make this work. Of course, that one undocumented thing is something I didn't write down. . . I believe it had to do with the version and maker of the ODBC drivers.

I have been able to get a SQL Server 6.5 database to replicate with another 6.5 database via ODBC, and, I can connect from my SQL Server PC to the Oracle database via ODBC using MS Query and ODBCPING. So, I know I am a few clicks away. I also am able to sync between the SQL Server database and the distribution database. But the distribution from the distribution database to Oracle fails with this error:

S1008(Oracle)[ODBC Oracle Driver]Operation cancelled.

I think this means that SQL Server 6.5 ODBC replication is very "fragile" - that it might demand a specific vendor or version ODBC driver that I am not using. But that doesn't make too much sense, since I can odbcping and connect to Oracle via MS Query with the Oracle DSN. (I'm confused at this point). Here's my config:

Oracle NT Workgroup Server 7.3.2.1.1
SQL Server 6.5
ODBC is Oracle's Oracle73 32 bit driver, SQO32_73.DLL, version 1.15.3.1A,  dated 6/18/96, size 156,672 bytes
TCP/IP is the protocol
SQL*Net is 2.3.2.1.1 with both the TCP/IP (2.3.2.1.1) protocol adapter, as well as the Named Pipes protocol adapter (2.3.2.1.1)

I can connect to Oracle from SQL Server using the named pipes Oracle protocol adapter, but for some weird reason, I can't add a subscriber with this protocol. The error I get when doing this is:

Error 50004:[SQL Server]S10000[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle OCI][ORA-12203]:TNS:unable to connect to desination

But MS Query and ODBCPING (as well as Oracle's SQL*Plus) can connect no problem, using this named pipes DSN.

So, it must be SQL Server 6.5 itself having the connection problem, right?

holoch_at_ccnet.com Received on Fri Jun 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT