Re: My Binary Experience

From: Scott Ferrett <surf_at_topspeed-dc.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/20

In article <33A90108.3352_at_baps.com>, Werner wrote:
> You say VARCHAR2 does not allow non-printable character, this is simply
> not true. You can insert any type of character into a varchar2, if you
> load SQL*Plus and do a
> " insert into table1
> (field1)
> values
> ('scott'||chr(0)||'Ferret');"
> it will work fine, and what's more you can select * from tab1 without
> the problems

You are correct. I was using ODBCTest to connect to Oracle because I find SQL*Plus to be such a painful interface. When I issued the select * from table after doing an ADD() from an Oracle Connect program that was inserting a null character I got back a null character. Whilst looking at this I realised that it will not work with the ODBC driver as it uses C strings due to limitations in ODBC/ODBC backends. You could use your above statement with PROP:SQL to get the nulls in with ODBC.

SuRF Down Under
(TopSpeed R&D) Received on Fri Jun 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT