Re: Using Oracle 7.1.x on Digital OpenVMS 7.2?

From: Gregory P. Lechkun <lechkung_at_tir.com>
Date: 1997/06/20

What Duncan has said is true, we to upgrade VMS 6.2 Alpha to VMS 7.1, and Oracle ill-adviced us that all be had to do is re-link Oracle 7.1.5. Well we soon found out that it wouldn't work, and we were forced into a double upgrade of OS and DB (7.3.2.3). We suffered 2 1/2 day down time in our application in order to upgrade the applications.

I should warn you that we ran into a bug where log_buffer could not be any larger than 8K (the 7.1.5 application had log_buffer at 10M). My understanding of the bug was that it reared it ugly head because we had 6 redo logs files (our develogment system only had 2 redo log files and was not a problem). Oracle provided a patch and we got the log_buffer up to 5M (I still need to find out why we can't get them up to 10M).

Good luck, I hope you get to plan your upgrade! lechkung<at>tir<dot>com

PS: VMS is at 7.1 not 7.2 Received on Fri Jun 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT