Re: NT 4.0; 16-bit sql*net

From: Arto Kujala <Arto.Kujala_at_vtt.fi>
Date: 1997/06/17

TurkBear wrote:

> As far as I can tell, only the 2.3 or later will work on a NT client
> and I'm not sure there is a 16-bit version....

I have used sqlnet 2.1 (16-bit) in win nt 3.51 clients. Is it possible to install v2.1 in NT 4.0? I gave up after 3 hours of trying.

> PS
> v2 connects are always slower than v1; Oracle says its because it has
> more options to process ( read tnsnames, check for nameserver, etc )
> but since v1 is no longer supported on the server side for version 7.3
> or later DBs I guess we'll have to live with it.

I have been running 2.1 in NT 3.51. Yes, it is a bit slower than v1 (NT 4 or 3.51), but this 2.3 in NT 4.0 is about ten times slower than 2.1 in NT 3.51. And the worst thing is that 2.3 hangs every 30 minutes.

I just heard that you can not use sqlnet version higher in clients than your server has; there is now v2.1 in server and I tried v2.3 in client. Is this true?

--Arto Kujala, arto.kujala_at_vtt.fi Received on Tue Jun 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT