Re: Cannot call function in query

From: Ansgar Seiter <seiter_at_phya5.physik.uni-freiburg.de>
Date: 1997/06/17

Thanx so far for the input..
The last contribution though really worries me. I can't check it now, but is dev2k 1.3.2 still based on pl/sql v1 ? Which means I couldn't use a packaged function in a select statement in a simple Forms procedure ? But then again I could use another packaged procedure to do the select and reference this from the Forms procedure, no ?

Ansgar

Miles Thomas wrote:

> Both functions in queries and inline views started with 7.1.
>
> However, you will need to set the compatability parameter in init.ora to
> get it to work.
>
> EG Database version 7.1.6.x.x
> compatability=7.1.6.x.x
>
> AFAIK, Compatability usually defaults to the lowest number in the release
> (for my example 7.1.0.0.0), and can be set to something totally different
> as an aid to database migration and upgrade (eg 6.0.32.0.0, or 7.1.6.0.0
> when running server 7.2 or 7.3).
>
> If it still doesnt work after that (and previous comments about standalone
> functions, restrict references, and all parameters to the function being in
> parameters of standard database types, rather than PL/SQL types) then you
> have a bug, call Oracle!
>
> Thought also occurs to me that you can only gaurantee that these will work
> in SQL*Plus; Tools such as Dev2k etc often refuse functions in queries and
> inline views unless they are real recent versions, since the tools
> pre-parse the SQL, and dont understand the new features (hide it in a
> database view).
>
> --
> Miles Thomas
> Logica UK Ltd
> thomasm "at" logica "dot" com
> The above are personal opinions, and are
> not necessarily the opinions of my employer.

<snip>

--
 Ansgar Seiter          	 Group Prof. Ch. Schlier
 Department of Physics