Replicating/Backup database on networked Unix servers

From: Bob Hung <bhun_at_la.ats.eds.com>
Date: 1997/06/13

I have the need to backup every transaction from a primary database on a unix server to a backup database on a secondary unix server. These two  servers are networked on LAN. I understand that Oracle 7.3 supports a  'Standby Database' feature which uses the control files, archived log files
to sync up the backed-up data. My problem is that in the case where the disk drive on the primary server fails, I will not have the files needed to bring
up the backup server. I am thinking of using Unix's Network File System
(NFS)

and place the control files and archive log files on the secondary server
(with a symbolic pointer from the primary server to the secondary server).

Anyone has tried this approach and got it to worked? Am I going down the wrong path? Appreciate any help and hints?

Regards,

--
Bob Hung
Air Transportation Services - EDS