Why can't I access package data from sqlplus?

From: Ken Denny <kdenny_at_interpath.com>
Date: 1997/06/12

I created a package called CONSTANTS to hold constant values sort of like using #define in C.

create or replace
PACKAGE constants AS

   audit_name VARCHAR2(16):='AUDIT';
 . .
END constants;
/

But in sqlplus, if I do:

select constants.audit_name from dual;

I get ORA-00904: invalid column name

I own the package, so I should automatically have all privileges for it. I tried to grant myself execute privilege but I got a message that I can't grant or revoke privileges to myself. I'm also worried that if I can't access it from sqlplus, I won't be able to use it in Oraperl.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Ken Denny
kdenny_at_interpath.com Received on Thu Jun 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT