Re: Help: Oracle WGS Install on SCO

From: Dennis Taylor <spammers_are_scum_at_ipipeline.net>
Date: 1997/06/12

Mike <mikegrof_at_rocketmail.com> wrote in article <5nn372$6t8$1_at_news.wizvax.net>...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to load Oracle Workgroup Server (from 90 day trial CD V4.1, I
 was
> told 7.2 by sales but who knows). The first try at install (owssetup,
> graphical) failed because I didn't have enough /tmp space. I also tried
> character install using orainst, but it fails on rootpre.sh
> (%ORACLE_HOME/orainst/orafiles not found). If I don't run rootpre.sh, I
 only
> get the choice to do a patch upgrade, not a fresh install.
>
> Can I get around the /tmp space problem?

Oracle install looks for an env var called "TMPDIR". If set to an alternate path, it will use this instead of /tmp. So set TMPDIR=/usr/tmp
or some such.

> Does orainst work?

Depends what you mean by work. If you include the words "well" or "properly" in the sentence, then no, unless you also include the word "not". I found with the 7.2 installation that I had to run orainst, wait for it to complain about rootpre, then run rootpre, then run orainst again. If I skipped the first step, it didn't work. Also it didn't create some directories that it needed, the doc install does NOT work, if the database creation fails it won't tell you why, and on and on and on ad nauseum.

After beating my head against it for a while, I paid Oracle to send in one of their techs, who took ALL DAY to get it installed properly. You figure it out. Received on Thu Jun 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT