Re: Defragmantation Problems ...

From: Bryan Warfield <Bryan.Warfield_at_DAL.frb.org>
Date: 1997/06/12

Yoav wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As A DBA I'm having problems with database fragmantation.
> Export/Import are very very slow.
> Does anyone know good tools that can help me solve the problem ? (I head
> of Platinum's TSREORG)
>
> Thanks
> Joe

For individual table & index reorgs, I like using Bradmark's DBGENERAL Tablespace Manager. It's reasonably priced, more convenient that Oracle EXP/IMP, but (IMHO) it's not that much faster than EXP/IMP, just more convenient, so it might not suit your needs. Tablespace Manager is also useful for allowing a DBA to reorg a table in a schema where they don't know the password for that schema. As an alternative to EXP/IMP, a DBA can use "create table <schema.newtable> as select * from <schema.oldtable>", then RENAME the tables & rebuild indexes. However, the RENAME won't allow the schema to be specified (i.e., RENAME <schema.oldtable> TO <schema.newtable> isn't allowed). Bradmark gets around this restriction by copying the encrypted password to a string, changing the password momentarily, logging in as that user, then immediately changing it back to the original encrypted password (very clever). Their utility also automatically rebuilds the indexes. If I remember correctly, it can't reorg tables with LONG columns.

Bryan Warfield Certified Oracle DBA Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas voice: 214-922-5873 E-mail: Bryan.Warfield_at_DAL.frb.org Received on Thu Jun 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT