no output using lpad and dbms_output

From: Jim <maca65_at_pop.dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1997/06/11

We're having a bit of a problem with outputing to text files (to be read by our mainframe).
I thought this:
select
lpad(to_char(6, '999999999'),9,' ')
from dual;
would give '6' in a field padded out to a length of 9 with spaces but it doesn't give us anything at all.
We're also having a similar problem with something of this form:

dbms_output.put_line('                           Total: ' || v_Variable ||
This will left justify when we print out unless we use:
dbms_output.put_line('G' || '                           Total: ' ||
v_Variable || '                  ');

i.e start the line with a character or use a TAB followed by spaces when we're writing the pl/sql.
We can't find anything in the documentation (Oracle or otherwise) to help. Anyone got any ideas?
Jim Gillies Received on Wed Jun 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT