Re: Hello world in SQL, former Interview Question

From: Sergey V. Fedorishin <sfedor01_at_grads.fiu.edu>
Date: 1997/06/10

Paul Brewer (paulb_at_pbrewer.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <3394E27F.241D_at_ntsource.com>, Frank Hubeny
: <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com> writes
: >I have been able to eliminate about 50% of the candidates that get
: >past nontechnical screenings by simply asking them if they can do an
: >"hello world" program in the language in which they claim to be expert.
: >
: > So, the first question I would ask someone who claims to be expert in
: >SQL on Oracle would be
: >
: > Display the string "hello world" in SQL*Plus.
: >

I missed the beginning of this discussion but I think Frank's point is the SQL expert needs 5 sec to write select whatever from dual and another 5 sec to disable headings and repeat the statement. And he/she needs another minute (?) to find a solution in pure SQL*Plus w/o SQL, for instance, type show all and help and 'what the hell was that command to prompt user - stupid me, its Prompt!'. Nobody claims SQL*Plus as ad-hoc report tool for end users. It is for experts and for just trained programmers. And for plain scheduled reporting it can cover 90% of your needs. It just not advertised properly.

: Sorry, I have to disagree.
: Doubtless I'm about to be burned at he stake, but as far as I'm
: concerned, a SQL*Plus expert is not necessarily an Oracle expert. For
: me, SQL*Plus is primarily an environment for running pre-prepared
: scripts - usually on or against the server, and maybe for quick and
: dirty queries or fixes.
: It is _not_ a tool for ad-hoc querying, ad-hoc reporting or scheduled
: reporting, or for that matter for edlin-style editing. There are much
: better tools available.
: It is certainly not a tool for end users. In the 1990's, end users
: should not have to learn SQL. They click on the information they want
: and we provide it.
: Regards
: Paul Brewer

--