Re: replication oracle / sql server

From: Joel Klebanoff <joel_klebanoff_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/06/10

Praxis International (web site: http://www.praxisint.com ) has a couple of products which might help, both move data between Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server (among others) in either direction.

OmniReplicator is a data change replicator which captures updates on a source (Oracle, MS SQL Server, Sybase, Informix or DB2) and copies them to a target (which can be on any of the source DBMSs or Ingres, Rdb, or DB2/6000 as well). OmniReplicator permits update-anywhere replication with data collision detection and resolution should two or more people try to update the same data at the same time in different locations.

OmniCopy is a snapshot copy product. It copies extracts of data from a source to a target. OmniCopy supports the same source and target DBMSs as OmniReplicator. OmniCopy offers a few options for how the data is applied at the target. Full refresh mode completely replaces the target table with the incoming data. Append mode adds the incoming data to the target. You can also elect to update rows where the keys on existing data are the same as the incoming data (that way you can merge data from two different source tables into one target table.

Both OmniReplicator and OmniCopy allow you to select just particular rows and columns for replication or copy. That way, you don't have to keep the full table at the target if you don't need it -- which also reduces the amount of data transmitted.

Praxis' web site, http://www.praxisint.com , has more information, including contact information.

--
Joel Klebanoff
Klebanoff Associates, Inc.