Re: Enterprise/Production Quality Reporting Tool

From: Michael Harvey <mgharvey_at_onaustralia.com.au>
Date: 1997/06/10

The company I work for spent a lot of time evaluating reporting tools for both batch and adhoc processing for use with an ORACLE database. We originally chose Cognos Impromptu. However, we soon found that it didn't have the flexibility required for our reports (and it also performs all procesing on the client - ie. no offline batch processing). Due to Impromptu's limitations, we ended up writing a lot of our reports in perl, outputting to temporary tables which were then 'displayed' using Impromptu.

Anyway, we recently have switched to SQR. This is a server based product, which has its own 3GL/4GL reporting language. It does have a Windows GUI layout tool - it isn't as fancy or as easy to use as a lot of other reporting layout tools, but its OK for simple ad hoc reports.

SQR is the only product we have seen that has the flexibility we require, and is suitable for both offline and online reporting. Other products we looked at closely included VCQ, GQL and a Sybase product. We had a brief look at Crystal Reports, but it seemed fairly similar to Impromptu.

Regards,
Michael Harvey
(mgharvey_at_onaustralia.com.au)