Re: Personal Oracle 7 Instances

From: Femi Aderounmu <aderounmu_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/06/08

Arman Rotabi wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how I can create a second or third database instance on
> my Personal Oracle 7 Database.
>
> I have tried 'CREATE DATABASE' but am not sure of the syntax, also not 100%
> sure if you can have multiple instances on Personal Oracle.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.......
>
> Arman
> (arman_at_dircon.co.uk)

This has been a topic of much discussion. I succeeded after a lot of fooling around with
the Oracle svrmgr. Read my correspondence with another guy, Jay, below. You can e-mail me
if you don't understand.
I changed the rules a little. Instead of step 1 I typed C:\set oracle_sid=ABCD.
No need for step 2.
To get the commands for server manager, type help at the svrmgr prompt. It might be
necessary to use the SET INSTANCE routine after step 4.

--
Femi Aderounmu
Vanderbilt University

        RE: Non-ORCL instance on PO7/95
  Date:
        Fri, 6 Jun 97 16:20:20 +0000
  From:
        Jay Ramadorai <jayr_at_softwarebuilders.com>
    To:
        "'aderounmu_at_worldnet.att.net'" <aderounmu_at_worldnet.att.net>

Femi,
    This is what I ended up doing to create an instance called (say)
ABCD. I "tried and erred" my way into this approach. There may be a
better one.
1. run regedit. Under LOCAL_MACHINE...SOFTWARE....ORACLE, change
ORACLE_SID to ABCD.
2. reboot (probably not needed)
3. run orapwd73 (which should be in the ORAWIN\bin directory
   So, cd \mydbdir
         \orawin\bin\orapwd73 file=pwdabcd.ora password=mypw
4. run svrmgr
5. connect internal, password = mypw
6. startup pfile=\path\initabcd.ora
7. create database