Re: My Binary Experience

From: Werner <werner.smit_at_baps.com>
Date: 1997/06/06

Hi Joe,
How was the User group meeting the other day, I really wanted to be there!

Regarding my little problem...

I tried String
I Tried CString
I tried Byte,Dim(255)
I tried String with Byte,Overed
I Tried CString with Byte Overed
I Tried Memo,Binary
I tried String with CSTRING, OVered
I tried PString
I tried them all!

I had one other message where the guy had the same problem and eventually replaced all NULLs
with another value, to replace them with a trigger on the other side...

I think the fact is that you can not have a SQL Statement with NULLs in it, and the layer after
leaving CW requires a SQL string....
But I cannot imagine why nobody complained about this before! Because what i say imply that
nobody who use ODBC can handle NULLs in a field!

ODBC manuals usually say stuff like:
"Additional Supported ODBC SQL Grammar (Advanced) The ODBC Desktop Database Drivers completely support the following additional SQL statements and clauses in the Core and Extended ODBC grammar, as changed for the Desktop Database Drivers version 2.0:"

See! - SQL Statements....

Core and Extended grammar	Comments
Binary Literals (Extended)	Supported.
EXISTS predicate (Core)		Supported.

ODBC help documentation that i've read NEVER say outright that binary data is not supported.