Re: Mysteriously Inconsistent Behaviour of ORACLE 7.3.3

From: Graham Miller <lgmiller_at_elmrd.u-net.com>
Date: 1997/06/06

Hello,
  Have a close look at the data in that column. It may be that a letter has been entered ( an 'I' ( capital i) or 'l' (ell - lowercase L ) instead of a '1' (one) ). Or there may be a leading space character (this shouldn't bother it).

Remember that Oracle does automatic type conversion (*spit* - i know it is more friendly!) and has to decide which one to convert.

Other than that, i have no idea.

graham (aka grumpy)

Nnoor_at_cris.com (NNOOR) wrote...

| I experienced following in Oracale 7.3.3 WGS NT which I don't have
| any explanation for.
|
| I have a view defined on ATable as following...
|
| Select...[snip]
| Where....
| ..... AField = 1
|
| NOTE: AField used to be of type Number when this view was written.
| Field type was changed to be VARCHAR2(2) some time ago. But this
| view kep working fine. Yesterday, all of a sudden, I started to get
| an Oracle error message "Invalid Number" during a process which is
| run hundreds of times a day and uses the above view every single time.
| Once this error message showed up, it was persistent in appearing every
| single time. After being totally clueless for some time, I tried the
| following change in the query:
| .... AField = '1' (i.e. enclose 1 in quotes)
|
| It made the problem go away. I am toally baffled. Why would Oracle
| suddenly decide to cough up on an issue which it simply ignored for
| quite a long while?
|
| (No, the data in the ATable had not changed in days).
|
| Any clues?
|
| Regards,
| Nasir (nnoor_at_cris.com)

Graham Miller ...
Opinions expressed are mine, they are free, and worth exactly what they cost. Received on Fri Jun 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT