Re: Is it necessary to have Primary keys?

From: Chrysalis <cellis_at_iol.ie>
Date: 1997/06/06

  1. The purpose of a primary key is three-fold: . to enable the unique identification (and location) of a given row . thereby to prevent duplicate rows being stored . to ensure that related rows have something to relate to
  2. Relational purists insist that a table without a primary key is not a relation within the fullest definition of the term.
  3. Oracle does not insist on primary keys.
  4. The inclusion of a date column in a primary key *is* a good idea in many cases (and may be essential for any/all of the reasons in 1).
  5. Having a date-time column as a *non-leading* part of the key does not carry a particularly large overhead.

Hope this helps.

Chrysalis.