Re: help! 2 versions of odbc admin

From: Stephen A. Rodgers <trodgers_at_prominenceconsulting.com>
Date: 1997/06/06

We have stumbled across the same situation in a client site that you described. Apparently, the version 3.x ODBC which is being distributed on certain Microsoft distribution disks does not coexist well with the Oracle ODBC driver for 32 bit. We have narrowed the problem down to a single file: odbc32.dll. If we place the version 2 dll file back into \windows\system, we can connect fine to Oracle using the 32 bit driver, but if we put the version 3 dll back in place, we get an error indicating the version information could not be obtained.

We're planning on opening a TAR with Oracle Support since this is something that we can reproduce at will. We have no control over users in the field who may install new (MS) software on their desktops and suddenly not be able to connect to Oracle after the newest version of the ODBC files have been installed. It appears that Oracle needs a version of the driver which will coexist and work with the version 3 odbc32.dll and I don't know for sure if it's really an Oracle problem or a Microsoft problem, but *we* are the ones who are stuck in the middle for now. With things like Office 97 and VB5 and who knows what else loading new versions of the odbc files onto desktops, the likelyhood of end users losing their connection to Oracle through the 32 bit ODBC drivers is pretty good.

--
Stephen A. Rodgers
Prominence Consulting, Inc.

http://www.icca.org/firms/f15498.htm