Re: Run Proc Async

From: Varad Acharya <vacharya_at_gw.ford.com>
Date: 1997/06/05

Mark Wagoner wrote:

> Is it possible to run a stored procedure asynchronously? I need to have
> one procedure (or external app) start a stored procedure but regain control
> immediately. I need the second procedure to continue running in the
> background.
>
> If I use EXECUTE from SQL*Plus, I have to wait until the procedure ends
> before I can continue. Same thing if I call the procedure from a PL/SQL
> block. Does anyone know a way around this?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Mark Wagoner
> mwagoner_at_medplus.com (work)
> mwagoner_at_iac.net (life)

One way you could execute stored procedures async. is to make use of the DBMS_JOB_PACKAGE.
In a nutshell this package lets you schedule routines to be performed periodically or on demand.The package provides a number of routines that you use to define,delete,change,run... PL/SQL stored procs.

The details of the implementation of the package are provided in the Oracle 7 Server Administrator's Guide. Received on Thu Jun 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT