Re: Oracle and RAID

From: Randy DeWoolfson <randyd_at_cais.com.nospam>
Date: 1997/06/05

BBurtensha wrote:

> I've got an IBM RS/6000 J30 with a 7135 RAID unit configured as (4) 5-disk
> RAID
> with 5 LUNS. Running AIX 4.1.4 and Oracle 7.1 and 7.1.6. I'm considering
> reconfiguring the 7135 as (2) 10-disks LUNS using RAID 1 to try and
> improve performance. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
>
> The only "performance" advice that the 7135 manual gives is setting the
> segment size equal to the typical I/O size. Since we using an 8kb Oracle
> block size should I set the segment size to (16) 512-byte blocks (the
> default is 512 512-byte blocks)?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Barry

As far as the raid goes... The bottleneck is the number of interrupts that are used to control the device. This is how many logical units you should consider the raid to be.

if there are 4 interrupts, then you have 4 raid disks. (doesnt matter how many physical platters the raid system manages )

For the block size it can be anything.. as long as its an even multiple of db block size.

Randy :)

randyd_at_cais.com brandall_at_erols.com info_at_euclidsys.com
                     remove .nospam to reply

Pursuant to US Code Title 47, Section 227, unsolicited commercial E-mail sent to these addresses is subject to a $500 archival fee per copy. E-mail recieved after any reciept of this notice implies acceptance of these terms. A copy of USC Title 47, Section 227 may be found online at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html