Re: Excel97/MSQuery/Oracle Not Working

From: Ed Enstrom <ede_at_lecroy.com>
Date: 1997/06/05

Larry Monack <lmonack_at_fsco.com> wrote in article <338B2F6C.41C67EA6_at_fsco.com>...
> We have Excel97 running in WinNT and are unable to 'get external data'
> from our Oracle 7.3.2 database. We're using Oracle's latest ODBC driver
> (v2.00..).
>
> We get as far as picking the Oracle table but no data is returned. Then,
> when you 'Refresh data' Exel hangs and Task Manager says its 'Not
> Responding'. The message in the cell is 'ExternalData1: Getting
> Data...'.

I have exactly the same problem in Windows95. For me, pivot tables seem to work properly and I can see the data when I select the "view data in MSQuery" option, but Excel locks up when I select "Return data to Excel".

The problem seems to be the ODBC driver or the ODBC Driver Manager, which Microsoft updated to version 3 in Office97. I was using the latest ODBC driver from Oracle, but got the same results with drivers from Intersolv and Visigenic.

I spent long hours on the phone with Microsoft over this before they finally agreed that they had a bug. They said that there is a new Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle. This is available only in the latest version of developer apps so far (C++, VB5,etc). I got this driver from Visual Basic 5 and installed it and it seems to have fixed the problem. The new driver is Version 2.00.006325 in MSORCL10.DLL, dated 01/12/97. Received on Thu Jun 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT