Re: Oracle Certification

From: Campbell White <Preveal2_at_vni.net>
Date: 1997/06/04

Wang Federal wrote:

> Hello, I am looking for a list of the Oracle Certification Tests and the
> various
> tracks one can take. If this is a FAQ, I would greatly appreciate a
> location
> where I can retrieve the FAQ list.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Robert Amour

This overview has been extracted frpm DB*ACE - a study guide for the Oracle7 DBA Certification Exam. DB*ACE is an integral component of the "RevealNet Oracle Administration Knowledge Base" Product info and demo software available at http://www.revealnet.com

In 1995, the International Oracle Users Group, in conjunction with Oracle Corporation and Education Testing Service (ETS, now Chauncy Corporation) of Princeton, NJ developed and field-tested a certification examination for Oracle7 database administrators.

The Oracle7 DBA examination measures the DBA candidate’s mastery of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform proficiently as an Oracle7 DBA. It documents the attainment of this level of competence and should be useful to candidates assessing their qualifications and abilities, and to employers in making hiring decisions and evaluating the competency level of existing staff.

The examination was created, screened, and calibrated by a committee of working expert Oracle database administrators. Every effort was made to make this a job-oriented examination. Job analysis surveys were used to validate the content of the test. A candidate who has attended Oracle Education DBA training courses or only read a variety of Oracle manuals and third-party books should not be able to pass. It is not an easy test. The pass rate, although not published, is rumored to be only about 50%.

The test is taken on-line at one of the many Sylvan Learning Centers throughout the country and costs $195.00 to take. Call 1 (800) 967-1100 to locate the Sylvan Learning Center nearest you. If you are an ADA (American Disabilities Act) candidate, you can call the Oracle7 DBA program staff at (609) 951-6149 to make special arrangements for testing.

Based primarily on Oracle7, this 120 minute computer-based test is a blend of multiple-choice questions and case study scenarios, which include a variety of on-line exhibits to be used as resource material while answering the questions. Much of the test contains screen captures that stimulate the feel of the actual Oracle software. All questions are designed to test factual knowledge, breadth of preparation, and analytical and problem solving skills.

There are 75 questions in the test. Two examinations actually exist, if you fail one, you will take the other examination upon retest. Candidates must wait 30 days after their first test date to retest. Candidates must wait 270 days between subsequent attempts. Candidates will be permitted to take the examination a total of four times only.

Seven areas of expertise are tested:

The number of questions for each area are approximately equal, ranging from 12% to 16% of the total test questions. However, each individual question is weighted with a differing weight of relative importance. This provides the ability to test every subject area, but compensate for the relative importance in the DBA’s job.

When preparing for this test, it is of critical importance to remember three main precepts:

The format of the test is somewhat unique in that within the context of a multiple choice test, it attempts to mimic, as much as possible, an actual working Oracle7 database. Although the all of the test questions are simple multiple choice, approximately 40% of the answers can be developed by examining a set of sample data dictionary tables provided for a simple database.

You will have many questions such as “John called to say that he tried to create a 2 megabyte table in the CORPORATE tablespace, but received an error message (that he can’t remember) that he was unable to create a table. Why couldn’t John create a table”. To answer the question, you must examine the supplied data dictionary tables for system privileges for John, tablespace quotas, space allocation problems, etc. to find the most suitable answer. Because this is a timed test, you must have a strong working familiarity with the data dictionary in order to quickly determine the correct answer.

Immediately after completion of the test, you will be notified of your test results. A criterion referenced passing standard is used to determine pass/fail. You will pass or fail based on your performance in relation to a previously determined point of competence. If you pass, you will only be notified that you passed the examinations. If you fail, areas of weakness will be identified to you.

DB*ACE is a menu guide into the RevealNet Oracle Administration knowledge base. The menu structure is aligned to the 7 specific areas of expertise that are tested. Each of the overview buttons in DB*ACE contains a set of the major points that need to be understood followed by commentary. Received on Wed Jun 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT