Re: ORACLE vs SqlServer

From: Thomas Greuter <grth1_at_zh.swissptt.ch>
Date: 1997/06/03

Oren Nakdimon <oren_at_gsit.co.il> wrote in article <3391A2B8.B8BBC3D4_at_gsit.co.il>...
> Hi.
>
> I have been told by some people that SqlServer is better than ORACLE.
> Do you agree ?
> Are there any documents comparing these two DB's?
>
> Thanks,
> Oren.

Despite of all cynic comments you will get here on an oracle-newsgroup, you may use a cost based aproach to answer your Q. Here some of them:

		ORA		SQL
- Maintenance	expens.		less time req.
- Licences	expens.		depends on your env.
- if GBs of data	ok		Don't
- Training	expens.		cheap
- HW Req.	ok		ok
- ###Users	ok		probably not
- Security	better		probably not
- Tools		don't		much better!

We are using both, SQL-Server and Oracle, for fitting different requirements.

Hope that puts you on the road

Thomas
BTW: Ask som SQL-Server freaks too Received on Tue Jun 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT