SQL*Net 2.x, Win95, SPX

From: Daniel King <dKing_at_accBusSol.com>
Date: 1997/06/02

Hi

I am having some difficulty setting up a Win95 workstation to connect to my Oracle v7.2 database via SQL*Net v2.2 or v2.3, using the SPX protocol.

I have several Win 3.1 clients which successfully connect using the same TNSNAMES.ORA I am attempting to use on the Win95 client.

I have had no success with either the MicroSoft "IPX/SPX Compatible" protocol included in Win95, or with the latest available download version of Novell's "Intranetware Client 32 for Windows 95".

sqlnet.log shows the following:

  VERSION INFORMATION:

	TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.3.0.0 - Production
	NOVELL SPX/IPX NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version
2.3.3.0.0 - Production
  Time: 29-MAY-97 17:20:45
  Tracing to file: D:\ORAWIN95\BIN\sqlnet.trc   Tns error struct:
    nr err code: 12203
    TNS-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination     ns main err code: 12541
    TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
    ns secondary err code: 12560
    nt main err code: 511
    TNS-00511: No listener
    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0

All of which appears to indicate (on the surface) that the Listener is not available. The listener is definitely available when this error stack is produced, so the only thing I can think of is that Oracle's SPX adapter on the Win95 workstation is not communicating with the SPX protocol stack on that workstation.

Has anyone been able to get this configuration to work? If so, what was required?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan Received on Mon Jun 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT