Re: Datafile Recovery

From: Oliver Critchley <oliver.critchley_at_ait.co.uk>
Date: 1997/06/02

Jeffrey Podlogar wrote:

> Need Help!. I have an oracle 7 database (7.3.2.2 for NT). The operating
> system crashed and had to be re-installed. Oracle 7 then also had to be
> re-installed. I still have the old oracle files on disk and want to be
> able to recover a database. Unfortunately, no exports were done prior to
> the crash. All I have available is a the datafiles and control files.
>
> Is is possible to create a new instance without creating a new database,
> then with the init.ora file, point the control files to the existing
> control files in order to recover the data???

Assuming the datafiles and control files are not damaged, all you need to do is this:

  1. Copy all the datafiles, online logs files and control files to the same locations on the new server as they were on the old one.
  2. Use ORADIM73 to create the database services as usual.
  3. Connect with SVRMGR23, and you're away!

Hope it works,

Oliver. Received on Mon Jun 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT