Re: Question: Web development

From: Mark McNulty <mmcnul_at_jpmorgan.com>
Date: 1997/06/02

In article 216B_at_insight.att.com, Rajeev Shankar <raj_at_insight.att.com> () writes:
> Hello Everyone:
>
> I need to display the contents of a query in an oracle
> database(7.2) to the web. We have an apache server installed
> .. The webserver and the database reside on the same machine
> (Solaris). I do realize that in order to do this I have
> to create html input forms and write a cgi script in perl or
> ProC. We do not have oracle webserver. Can someone point
> me to some examples or suggest books to accomplish this?

I don't know too many books, but I can give you some examples of methods used by lots of people:
1. CGI scripts, or oraperl. This is simple, cheap, and pretty straight-forward. It isn't ideal, but low volumn sites can probably handle it. 2. Web tools like Cold Fusion, NetDynamics, Tango. 3. 3-Tier tools like Prolifics, Forte, Dynasty, Unify, Uniface, etc These sometimes allow use with Corba and TP Monitors like Tuxedo or Encina or MTS, etc, so you can really scale.

4.  Java/JDBC, possible combined with some Java-generating tools.
5.  Java/Corba combination.
6.  Or on the database, you can use Oracle Web Server.

You can look in comp.infosystems.intranet, comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi, comp.lang.java.databases, etc. I find lots of examples in these newsgroups.

Also, check out Sun's website, Oracle's website, etc.

Good luck,
Mark McNulty
mmcnul_at_jyacc.com

Note - these views are mine and not those of JP Morgan or JYACC. Received on Mon Jun 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT