Re: PL/SQL "table" question...

From: Phil Clark <phil.clark_at_writeme.com>
Date: 1997/05/31

Vijay Damodaran <vijayd_at_nortel.com> wrote in article <3383125F.75FA_at_nortel.com>...
> Question1:
> ----------
> Does PL/SQL consider the "admtab" declared in the SQL script
> and "admintab" declared in the package to be different
> datatype even though they have the exact same declaration.
> I tried using varchar2(8) instead of
> "cmn_gpm_admin.admin_empno%type", but that didn't work. So,
> how do I reference a table returned by a packaged function? I want to
> avoid declaring a global variable in the package specification for the
> datatype "admintab".

In SQL*Plus, declare adm as type Admin.admintab (from the package interface).

> Question2:
> Are global variable specifications defined in a package stored
> in the SGA on the server? So, when a client application such
> as Forms45 appln, makes a reference to this global variable,
> is there a call to the server to get the information?

So-called *global* variables in package specifications are actually package instance variables, and are local to the user session, i.e. users *scott* and *demo* each get their own copy of package-level variables. Because of this, the variables are stored in the user process area, whereas the actual CODE (e.g. functions, procedures ) of the package can reside in the shared memory pool.

Hope this helps.

--
Phil Clark, Database Administrator
Healthcare Recoveries, Inc.