Re: Oracle8's new features - what are they

From: Akmal B Chaudhri <akmal_at_no_spam.uk>
Date: 1997/05/31

On 31 May 1997, Drew Wade wrote:

> Date: 31 May 1997 08:10:21 GMT
> From: Drew Wade <drew_at_objy.com.junk>
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.object, comp.object, comp.databases.oracle.misc
> Subject: Re: Oracle8's new features - what are they
>
> In article <Pine.NEB.3.95.970522095006.3815C-100000_at_cripplecock.sarc.city.,
> Akmal B Chaudhri <akmal_at_no_spam.uk> wrote:
>
> >Couldn't stored procedures be considered a _form_ of encapsulation?
>
> only if the procedures are associated with the object type and do in fact
> hide the internals of the object. free floating functions are useful, but
> are not encapsulation.
> regards,
> drew
>
> Drew Wade mailto:drew_at_objy.com
> Objectivity, Inc. mailto:info_at_objy.com
> 301B E. Evelyn Avenue http://www.objy.com/
> Mountain View, CA 94041-1530 +1 (415) 254-7113, 71 fax

Drew, I don't want to seem argumentative, but what definitions are you using here? Free floating procedures can provide encapsulation by having a well-defined interface to hide the implementation details. Having them associated with a particular class is another matter. Here the definition of encapsulation is referring to the ability to have a well-defined interface and hide implementation details - something which non-OO languages, such as C or Pascal can also provide. If this is supported in Oracle and SQL3, etc., then it does support encapsulation, albeit not in the OO-sense (i.e. not having a "method" associated with a particular class).

| OOPSLA '97 Workshop on "Experiences Using Object Data Management" | | http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/oopsla97.dir/workshop.html |