Re: Oracle and PL/SQL vs. Oracle and Java

From: Martin <martinb_at_SPAM-OFF-hooked.net>
Date: 1997/05/29

Chad,

Java may have an edge over PL/SQL from the perspective of creating a user-interface experiance on the browser that cannot be accomplished with HTML. However, I think that about sums it up for Java ;}

Keeping the code in the database has many advantages over running Java (server-side or client-side with the above exception):

        PL/SQL is going to be faster than Java (no virtual machine). Also it would be one less layer.

        Simple role-out (compared to Client-side java) requires one DB update rather than multiple client role out. Especialy when implementing significant change as this requires synchroniztion with fat-clients.

        PL/SQL is designed for data manipulation, which most application do, rather than optimized to reuse code, to create applications to manipulate data (which Java is). But please keep in mind that PL/SQL is as reuseable as Java (and you can actually create very OO like structures and programs in Oracle) if you design it that way. Conversly Java is about as reusable as polystyrene is you don't do your homework.

IMHO I think HTML is to simple a mechanism to use Java for. SQL suites HTML manipulation down to the ground. But like a lot of systems I see, you have to do the design work up front to get the benefit. It also helps to have some one with an ounce of imagination designing too.

Martin

Technomation, Inc.

Client-Server, Database systems design, implementation and administration.

martin@(removable_spam_protector)technomation.net

PS did I mention design?