Re: Oracle and PL/SQL vs. Oracle and Java

From: Jensen Langford - Sun DBA <jensen.langford_at_uk.sun.com>
Date: 1997/05/29

Chad Theule wrote:

> I have been project managing the development of an oracle, web enabled
> human resources application with 12 PL/SQL packages, residing within the
> database, that perform most of application functionality. We (Lucent) are
> using outside developers and I have been charged with managing the
> relationship with the developer. I come mostly from the project management
> arena and I am catching up to the technology.
>
> As we round out Phase 1 and look ahead to the additional development
> required, we are trying to evaluate the PL/SQL approach versus a Java
> approach to application development.
>
> Any feedback and discussion on this issue would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chad
> ctheule_at_lucent.com

Hi Chad.

I'm afraid I can't offer practical advice, however I've just purchased a book called "Oracle Databases on the Web" isbn 1-57610-099-5, Coriolis Group Books, author Robert Papaj and Donald Burleson.

If you are looking to bring yourself up to date this may be the book for you. It has extensive discussions about how the Webserver can be used. I've only read a couple of chapters but it says that PL/SQL should be used when the is lots of database accesses, else use Java for the flash stuff.

Hope this helps.

Jens. Received on Thu May 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT