Re: How to allow updates by programs by not by sqlplus.

From: QuadTwin <quadtwin_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/05/29

kdenny_at_interpath.com wrote:

> Hello, I need to implement a way to allow users to run sqlplus for
> query purposes, but not allow them to update. At the same time I want
> them to be able to run application programs which update the
> database.

A way is to use role-based security. Set the default role for all users to query-only access. This covers sqlplus. In application programs, such as FORMS, call DBMS_SESSION.SET_ROLE to add one or more roles that provide write access for the duration of the application session. If you want to get fancy, you can restrict each user via a separate default role and only allow read access to a subset of tables.

Al Lawson
Interactive Group, Inc.
www.interactive-group.com
lawsona_at_interactive-group.com Received on Thu May 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT