Help!!! Training Confusion

From: Andrew Gold <andrewgold_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1997/05/27

    Help!!! I am seriously confused about the path to achieve oracle certification.
I have visited the oracle web site and I have spoken with an alleged training consultant and still have very little idea how to become a oracle D.B.A..

    It seems that I can go to L.A. and take a 20 day course for about $8000. There is, however no testing at the end of this course. Apparently, if you show up in class each day, you receive a diploma at the end of the 20 days. From a quick perusal of the syllabus, I could probably cover the same material on my own in a week. On the other hand, if I go down to the local testing center and give them $200, I can take a "dba" multiple choice test from oracle. What exactly this test is good for, no one seems to be able to tell me.

    I have a background in C++, perl, java etc., have used other databases, know sql, so I don't think that I am such a complete moron that this training sequence should be so confusing.

1). What training should I get?
2). Why?
3). What do employers really want?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Received on Tue May 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT