Re: What is Designer 2000 written in?

From: Steve Corbett <stevec_at_fcs.wa.gov.au>
Date: 1997/05/27

Jeff Jacobs wrote:
> Steve Corbett <stevec_at_fcs.wa.gov.au> wrote:
> >What product is Designer 2000 written in?
> >(Is this an admission Forms4.5 cant do everything?)
>
> Designer/2000 is written in C++, using Microsoft Foundation classes.

thanks for that.

> Client server doesn't have the "GUI" going up and down the network; that's
> handled at the client side.

sorry for being technically flippant. i meant to say i was under the impression Forms4.5 would generate more network traffic than Forms3.

> Its the data transfer over the network that is the
> issue. Moving from Forms 3.0 to Forms 4.5 isn't going to change network traffic
> much; in fact, it might improve it.

your the first i have heard say this.

> Using Designer/2000 generated forms would
> improve it greatly, since the generated form uses explicit cursor (I'm assuming
> your 3.0 Forms were CASE generated).

thats a rash assumption :)
we are looking to convert Forms3 to Forms.5 then re-eng into Des2000, then take it from there - generate 4.5 or html maybe we are going to have to do a lot of manual ratification as the Forms3 are not the 'traditional' design. They were written by Oracle newbies, Like a lot of blocks are not based on tables, so the conversion and rev-eng is going to miss a lot of stuff, but it will gives us a starting point.

steve Received on Tue May 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT