Re: Insertion of files into a table in an Oracle databse.

From: Terry M. Cox <tcox01_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/05/27

Aram Meguerian wrote:

> If you're trying to upload sequential files, use SQL*Loader.
> A complete description of its commands can be found at "Oracle7
> Server Utilities Guide" (or something like it).
>
> --
>
> Aram Meguerian
> aram_at_unisys.com.br

> TANSTAAFL - There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
> by Robert A. Heinlein
> I don't work at Unisys, it is just my Internet Provider,
> so don't blame it for anything I have just said.
>
> Prestwick Circuits Ltd. <mckinnonj_at_prestwick.co.uk> escreveu no artigo
> <01bc5eec$21375b20$1305c0c0_at_dneil>...
> > Hi
> >
> > I am working on transferring data from our old business system to our
 new
> > Oracle database. I have never used Oracle before, although I do have
> > experience of Ingres. The main problem I am having is bulk loading data
> > into tables. In Ingres the command
> >
> > copy table <Tablename>(attr1=format1,attr2=format2.....)
> > from "filename"
> >
> > does this for you. Is there an equivalent in Oracle or am I missing
> > something really obvious. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Best Regards
> >
> > James McKinnon

I am an Oracle Newbie. I have a 90 day version of Personal Oracle 7. Of course, I don't have any books. I want to import an ascii comma delimited ( "first_name","last_name", "Phone_#"<cr> ) file into an Oracle table. I'm sure this is really easy, unless you are a Newbie without any books; such as I. Can someone tell me how to do it? Also, is there a good comprehensive overview, in book form, for an Oracle Newbie such as myself to get started? Thanks! Received on Tue May 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT