Re: Oracle Vs Access

From: Jeff Davies <jdavies_at_davtechsys.com>
Date: 1997/05/27

Karen,

   These are very vague questions, considering that you've given little detail about the size of the project, number of developers assigned to the project, etc. I'll give some appropriate vague answers for now.

  1. The costs involved vary tremendously. If you already have an Oracle server, your costs would be minimal (i.e. development costs only). If you need to buy a server and an Oracle license, then you could be in the $3,000 to $50,000+ range.
  2. Are you going to port the entire Access DB over without any structural changes? If so, the port of the data may take a few days to a week or so. You will have to dump the Access data into an ASCIII format, write Oracle SQL*Loader scripts to read that data into Oracle. Then write additional SQL script to put all referential integrity constraints in place. One of the nice things about Access is that it has a Counter datatype. Oracle approximates this functionality with the Sequence. You can automatically use a sequence whenever a new records is inserted into Oracle via a database trigger. These little details can go on for a long time unless you have a thorough implementation plan.
  3. How long it takes depends on your analysis of you implementation plan and the size of the database.
  4. I'm not sure of what you are asking here. I'll assume that you know what an implementation plan is and how to write one. The topics of the plan are those that I mentioned in item 2 above, although there are many other small details to be considered. "The devil is in the details" as the saying goes.

Hope that helps.

Karen Ho <kho_at_itp.uvic.ca> wrote in article <3387576D.7359_at_itp.uvic.ca>...