Our fix for ORA-12546 in 7.3.2.3

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbachev_alex_at_bah.com>
Date: 1997/05/25

Hello,

Here's some info about a fix to Oracle 7.3.2.3 for Digital UNIX (would also wok for any other UNIX, including AIX, which also has this problem). I've written this simple fix after some heavy research and communication with Oracle WW Support. I hope that this info will prevent some further headaches.

Oracle has registered a new bug in Oracle Server 7.3.2.3 for Digital Unix. The bug (ID #233602) creates the UNIX domain sockets with 744 file permissions, which, in turn, disrupts IPC communications from any user but oracle (ORA-12546: TNS:permission denied)  The bug is expected to be fixed in a single-CD release 7.3.3.

I have patched the 7.3.2.3 Oracle distribution as follows:

  1. Altered the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart script to set correct permissions on UNIX domain sockets once they are created - lines 88 and 95 are : "chmod 777 /tmp/.oracle/*" (Insert these lines after the startup line)
  2. Moved $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl into $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl.REAL Put the following script into $ORACLE_HOME/bin/lsnrctl (don't forget to chmod 755 lsnrctl):

#!/bin/ksh
#Script created at Booz-Allen to patch the newly found Oracle bug
#which causes all UNIX domain sockets to be created with 755 permissions

#and thus prevents IPC communications
#The bug should be fixed in rel. 7.3.3
#Created May 25 1997 by Alex Gorbachev

cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
case $1 in

'start')        lsnrctl.REAL start
                chmod 777 /tmp/.oracle/*
                ;;
'stop')         lsnrctl.REAL stop
                ;;
'stat')         lsnrctl.REAL stat
                ;;
'fix')          chmod 777 /tmp/.oracle/*
                ;;
*)      echo 'Script created at Booz-Allen to patch the newly found
Oracle bug'
                echo 'Usage: lsnrctl start/stop/fix'
esac Received on Sun May 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT