Re: Oracle8's new features - what are they

From: Akmal B Chaudhri <akmal_at_no_spam.uk>
Date: 1997/05/25

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Joshua Duhl wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 19:29:43 -0400
> From: Joshua Duhl <no.spam.jduhl_at_mediaone.net>
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.object, comp.object, comp.databases.oracle.misc
> Subject: Re: Oracle8's new features - what are they

[snip]

> > And I don't see
> > > where you get the "methods" from. Where's the encapsulation?
> >
> > Couldn't stored procedures be considered a _form_ of encapsulation?
>
> Well I guess you could say they are a "form" of methods and
> support a limited notion of encapsulation but only in the
> most losest of senses for both. Stored procedures are not
> strictly associated with a type. They are associated with
> a table or multiple tables. So they are not methods per se.
> Secondly, it may be possible to bypass a stored producedure
> to access data directly thus violating the fundamental notion
> of encapsulation.

O.K. but are there not some OO languages that support the notion of "free procedures" that are not aattached to any particular class? (Here I'm asking a question, not trying to challenge what you are saying).

> > > Version 8 is no more OO than Version 7. It's focus is on
> > > larger scale and some abstract data type support. But this
> > > is a far, far cry from supporting objects. Supporting
> > > inheritance is the biggest problem they have in supporting
> > > objects.

> > I've heard that Oracle Late (sorry 8 :-) ) does have support
> > for single inheritance.
>
> I have heard that it doesn't supports any inheritance. Many
> of the "object" features, including things like inheritance
> will not be in Oracle Late :-) but in Oracle 8.1 or later.

Pity. As is usually the case, it will always be in the next release ...

| OOPSLA '97 Workshop on "Experiences Using Object Data Management" | | http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/oopsla97.dir/workshop.html |