Re: OCI libraries for Linux

From: <twod_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/05/24

Bjorn Borud (borud_at_guardian.no) wrote:
: I am looking for OCI libraries for Linux. does Oracle sell OCI
: libraries separately?

There is *no* port of Oracle or any of it's toolset to Linux, so there are *no* native OCI libraries available. Oracle does not sell the OCI libraries separately, you would have to buy a product that they are supplied with.

Knowing the iBCS emulation under Linux, perhaps see if the SCO Workgroup Server 90 day trial software is shipped with them.

I know that the PERL DBD-Oracle module requires the OCI libraries and I know that at least one member of the DBI mailing list is running OK under linux and has menioned that they might write a FAQ at some point. www.hermetica.com will get you the DBI/DBD home pages and the mailing list information. I ask that you search the mailing list archives for 'linux' before posting.

I believe the trick is to have a SCO box lying around and to do all the makes over there and move to linux.

Personally, I would not attempt to do any OCI/Pro* coding on anything other than a native port.

: I have been trying to ask Oracle about this for months but it seems
: that they simply ignore any email I send them inquiring for the right
: address for such questions.

The telephone is a much better tool than email in some circumstances.

: I am getting kinda tired of Oracle and if they aren't going to port
: Oracle (or at least OCI) to Linux I'll might just scrap Oracle and
: install something else that does support Linux on the database
: servers.

Going elsewhere is an option and will hit Oracle where it hurts, in the year-end $$ totals.

IAP

--
In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From' address.
My correct email address can can be determined by replacing 'not.valid' with