Re: Unwanted Pading

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/05/23

In article <338485B3.5060_at_gwcom.com>, Guna Govind <guna_at_gwcom.com> wrote:
>Hi all
> the SELECT returns VARCHAR2 columns padded with BLANK characters
>which i don't want. I don't want to use RTRIM also as my input might
>have spaces at the end, which i don't want RTRIM to remove.
>
> Basically all i want is, the SELECT should return me what i
>entered as input and NO padding.

Are you sure this isn't a CHAR column and not VARCHAR2? The space padding will come back from CHAR columns only... unless you are using SQL Plus, and it is formatting your data into columns as in a report.

What application ARE you using, anyway?

Steve Cosner Received on Fri May 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT