Re: Oracle8's new features - what are they

From: Joshua Duhl <no.spam.jduhl_at_mediaone.net>
Date: 1997/05/22

Finn Ellebaek Nielsen wrote:

> Mike Yukish wrote:
> >
> > In article
> > <Pine.NEB.3.95.970521115910.1209B-100000_at_cripplecock.sarc.city.ac.uk>,
> > Akmal B Chaudhri <akmal_at_no_spam.uk> wrote:

> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > Doesn't sound as though there is an awful lot of OO there.
> >
> > There isn't. Oracle8 is not an OO database. No polymorphism, no
> > inheritance. The major add ons are in the ability to partition the tables
> > across machines, operate on individual partitions without taking the whole
> > DB down, handle huge files better, parallel queries, index only tables,
> > improved password management, language support,...
> >
> > Not a slam, its just what it is.
>
> I agree that it's very sad that polymorphism and inheritance is not supported in
> 8.0, but please don't overlook the user-defined object types with properties
> (can be other object types as well) and methods.

Whoa there... there ain't no "object types" they're just abstract data types. Big difference. And I don't see where you get the "methods" from. Where's the encapsulation? Version 8 is no more OO than Version 7. It's focus is on larger scale and some abstract data type support. But this is a far, far cry from supporting objects. Supporting inheritance is the biggest problem they have in supporting objects.

Just getting even with spammers:

postmaster_at_cyberpromo.com, postmaster_at_moonglow.com,
postoffice_at_mooglow.com, postmaster_at_savetrees.com,
postmaster_at_hotmail.com, americom_at_mcsi.net,
cash_at_fortune-wheel.com, postmaster_at_fortune-wheel.com, accesstwo_at_industryone.net,
carproinc_at_answerme.com, postmaster_at_answerme.com, postmaster_at_industryone.net Received on Thu May 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT