Re: turn off redo log?

From: Frank Rodgers <frodgers_at_baytreeassociates.com>
Date: 1997/05/20

Richard Hoffbeck wrote:

> [This followup was posted to comp.databases.oracle.misc and a copy was
>
> sent to the cited author.]
>
> In article <3380AF0B.41C6_at_garland.dnr.state.sc.us>,
> edwards_at_garland.dnr.state.sc.us says...
> > how do you turn off redo log writing?
> >
> > I am trying to load some massive data but the redo logs
> > fill up disk space and my session halts.
>
> SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE NOARCHIVELOG ;
>
> Don't forget to shutdown the database and get a good backup
> after you load the data, and of course, turn archive logging
> back on.
>
> --rick

 This does not turn off redo log writing -- this turns off archive log writing. There is a hidden init.ora parameter that will turn off the writing of redo information -- I won't post it here because it is very dangerous and I wouldn't advise anyone to actually use it. If you know where Oracle stores the hidden init.ora parms (hint: the parm name starts with an _ ), it will be very obvious which parm turns off logging. Good Luck.

Frank Received on Tue May 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT