Re: Oracle8's new features - what are they

From: Joshua Duhl <no.spam.jduhl_at_mediaone.net>
Date: 1997/05/20

Walter Roberts wrote:

> In article
> <jessicat-2005971534170001_at_ppp-206-170-0-13.snfc21.pacbell.net>,
> jessicat_at_pacbell.net (Jessica Taylor) wrote:
>
> > I understand that Oracle8 is going to come out soon. Does anyone
> > know what are going to be some of the new features?
>
> Oracle8 will support larger, more demanding OLTP (online transaction
> processing) and data warehousing applications with features such as
> partitioning and parallelism. Version 8 will be the first
> object-relational Oracle server. Object Views, an object-relational
> functionality within Oracle8, will allow object-oriented applications to
> integrate with relational data, eliminating the need to rewrite existing
> relational applications.

What exactly do you (or they) mean by that? You can call Oracle from C++ today without needing to rewrite the application. Look out, here comes the Oracle FUD factor...

> Oracle8 will also be compliant with the open
> standards of Network Computing Architecture (the beta version currently
> supports seven platforms: SUN Solaris 2.5.1, Sequent Dynix/ptx 4.1, Intel
> NT 4.0, HP-UX 10.20, DEC UX 3.2e,IBM AIX 4.1.4 and above, IBM SP 2, and
> AIX 4.1).
>
> As a side note Oracle I am a member of Oracle's Developer Programme which
> provides special training, discounts, access to beta versions, etc. They
> are now having a special half price offer on membership but you have to
> have access through a secret Url: http://www.oracle.com/oraclestore/coupon
> Once there, type in the word "discount" and click on the "submit"
> button. Only available til the end of May and you can also get some free
> trial versions of their programs through that Url as well as discounted
> prices.

I tried what you said but once inside didn't see anything there stating "Oracle 8 beta" or looking like that. Where does one look?

Just getting even with spammers: postmaster_at_cyberpromo.com,

postmaster_at_moonglow.com, postoffice_at_mooglow.com,
postmaster_at_savetrees.com,
postmaster_at_hotmail.com, americom_at_mcsi.net, biz1_at_bigfoot.com,
postmaster_at_bigfoot.com