Re: Oracle Delphi Performance

From: Euan Garden <epg_at_valstar.co.uk>
Date: 1997/05/20

Marc Scheuner wrote:

> xxx_at_no_spam.net (Clayton J Andrews) wrote:
> >Something that does seem strange though is that the logon
> >time to the listner server can take as long as 30 sec's. Don't
> >suppose you know of any way to accelerate this process? :-)
>
> Should you find out something about how to speed up the logon process,
> please let me know, too! The single step that takes longest in the
> startup of our Delphi 1.0 / Oracle 7.2 application is the database
> logon.......
>
> Marc

> Marc Scheuner, marc.scheuner_at_bernoise.ch CH-3001 BERNE, Switzerland

Hi Marc,

From http://loki.borland.com/winbin/bds.exe?getdoc+3151+Delphi

Alternatively, go to www.borland.com, delphi, developer support, technical documents.

Intended Audience:

Anyone who wants to Improve Oracle IP Connection time under Windows 95.

Prerequisites:

Purpose of the TI:

To help speed up Connection time to Oracle under Windows 95. Under WinNT this is not an issue, therefore, this TI applies only to Windows 95. Performance times, as seen on some computer's, with & without this modification are:

Before : Win95 = 10-15 Seconds.

         WinNT = 2-3 Seconds.

After : Win95 = 3-4 Seconds. (Big Improvement)

Problem: Windows 95 inherently searches for IPC addresses on some network
nodes PRIOR to making a connection to a Oracle DNS whereas WinNT does not.

Solution: Modify the Oracle SQLNET.ORA file to disable said Windows 95 feature.

Step-by-Step Solution:

  1. Open SQLNET.ORA via Notepad or Write. (This file can be found in the <ORA_HOME>\network\admin directory. Disregard any other occurrences of this file)

This files looks like this:

################
# Filename......: sqlnet.ora
# Node..........: local.world

# Date..........: 24-MAY-94 13:23:20
################

TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF
sqlnet.expire_time = 15
names.default_domain = borland.world
name.default_zone = borland.world

2) Add the following Parameter to the SQLNET.ORA file:

        AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF Modified, the SQLNET.ORA file looks like this:

################
# Filename......: sqlnet.ora
# Node..........: local.world

# Date..........: 24-MAY-94 13:23:20
################

AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF
sqlnet.expire_time = 15
names.default_domain = borland.world
name.default_zone = borland.world

3) Save the file the new SQLNET.ORA file and voila! Anytime an Oracle Connection is initiated, performance with increase from 15 seconds to 3 seconds required. This improves Delphi's already blazing speed.

--
Euan Garden
BusinessMetricsĀ® Development Team

Email: epg_at_valstar.co.uk