Re: Getting Client Browser type from Web Server 2.1 (and other header info)

From: Craig Doremus <cdoremus_at_narrate.com>
Date: 1997/05/19

Ken Parker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find a way, with any toolset - pro*c, c, pl/sql, j/sql,
> whatever..., to get the client's browser type and dynamically serve
> different pages using Web Server 2.1. Anyone know how?
>
> I called Oracle support and the best they could do for me is to tell me
> it's in the log file and they knew of no way to get that info via pl/sql
> (other than writing a routine that reads that file - not efficient at
> runtime!). I find this hard to believe...there must be thousands of
> sites that redirect either optimized netscape pages or optimizes
> Microsoft Internet Explorer pages.
>
> If you know how to do this, the next logical question is exactly what
> info do I have access to via the header info sent by the browser? E-mail
> address?, IP address? time zone? I know those goodies exist - it's just
> a matter of how to get the info.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken Parker
> kparker_at_bacadv.com

Hi:

Use . . .

browser_type := owa_util.get_cgi_env('HTTP_USER_AGENT');

. . .to get client browser software information. Other CGI environmental variables -- including those that show up in the server log -- are also accessed with the get_cgi_env procedure.

--Craig

Craig Doremus
Web Database Developer
Narrate Health Care World