Re: Installing Oracle WorkGroup Server on NT workstation and error TNS12154

From: Doug Barnes <dwb_at_rell.com>
Date: 1997/05/19

osako wrote:

> Hello World,
>
> Has anyone been successful with installing and running WorkGroup Server 7.3
> for NT on NT workstation software (not the server version of NT)?
>
> We are proposing doing this on a high end workstation as a temporary
> measure while we wait for a new server class machine and NT server
> software. This will allow us to immediately start getting familiar with
> Oracle and its tool set. Appears that there is a lot to learn.
>
> We installed the oracle server product without any error messages.
> Afterwards, everything appears to be working except for a few problems. (1)
> We get the error message "TNS12154 TNS could not resolve service name", (2)
> can not connect to the database using ODBC, and (3) can not successfully
> install the repository manager. We were successful with SQL Net Easy
> Configuration in setting up a Database Alias
>
> It is interesting to know that we can access the Oracle sample database
> from another remote workstation via SQL Plus 3.3; for example we can login,
> do a "SELECT * FROM DEMO.CUSTOMER" and able to list out the entire table.
>
> We are have used the Network Manager and Net Fetch to generate the
> Listener.ora Tnsnames.ora, and Topology.ora; we are experienced at odbc
> configurations. We are out of ideas. We think it may have something to do
> with NOT being installed on NT server software, but not sure.
>
> Any ideas, comments, and/or suggestions would be appreciated. In advance,
> thank you

Work fine here (sqlnet/tnslistner), check the services dialog box on the NT side to make sure the service is running, then do a tnsping to the instance name from a PC on the network. The Enterprise Manager needs a program run (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head) to take your tnsnames file and convert it to the topology (its in the readme if I remember right) Just run it from sqlplus and then things work. The Enterpise Manager running on my PC has to attach to a DB where this is setup. After that I can administer other DB's that tnsnames knew about too. Received on Mon May 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT