Re: Default DB is remote

From: Miles Thomas <thomasm_at_>
Date: 1997/05/15

Ed Jennings <jenningse_at_mindspring.com> wrote in article <337A7811.2552_at_mindspring.com>...
> I have an application running on unix server 'A'. The Oracle DB is also
> running on server 'A'. The application has recently evolved and has
> become extremely cpu intensive, and the number of child processes has
> increased dramatically. With performance degradation the end result, I
> have decided to relocate the application to unix server 'B'. Relocatng
> the DB is more difficult because there are many other apps using this
> particular DB. My problem is that I don't know how to make the
> application now running on server 'B' log into the DB on server 'A' by
> default. All of the scripts, Pro*C, and Pro COBOL DO NOT reference the
> DB with the login_at_instance syntax. It would be an enormous effort to
> modify them all to do so. Is there a way to set this up with
> environment variables? Can the app issue a "sqlplus login" command and
> have it transparently translated into "sqlplus login_at_instance"?
>
> Ed Jennings
> --
> jenningse_at_mindspring.com

On unix, you could try setting the TWO_TASK UNIX environment variable to the SQL*Net connect string for 'A' for just the applications you want. Don't forget to export it. Of course, if you mix connections to both within the same Unix session, then you will need to reset TWO_TASK to what it was before (or nothing, whichever.)

Wrap you programs into shell scripts as required and that should automate it.

On windows, you need to play around with the setting LOCAL= in ORACLE.INI or the registry. As for VMS, etc, I cant help you (buth something similar probably exists.

--
Miles Thomas
Logica UK Ltd