Re: TNS_ADMIN and 32 bit SQL*Net (Win95)

From: Paul K. Courtney <pcourtney_at_pine.vpcc.sunysb.edu>
Date: 1997/05/15

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------73E7FC11F86AD03CE1BE8D30

--------------BD51727043251C7E57F7B19B

Scott wrote:

> When using 16 bit SQL*Net, I could place a line in the oracle.ini
> file
> which would point to a network copy of the tnsnames.ora file.
> 32bit
> SQL*Net doesn't create an oracle.ini file. How do I alter the
> default
> tnsnames.ora location with 32bit SQL*Net running under Win95?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

 We don't use a pointer to a network copy of the tnsnames.ora file; rather, we put this file in our client's c:\orawin95\network\admin\ directory. According to our documentation here, the ini file info is now located in the registry (the following is copied from a page on the help file):

> Initialization and Configuration Files (Advanced)
>
> The Oracle7 32-bit ODBC driver uses only the ODBC.INI key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC section under the registry. Each section of the key that describes an Oracle data source can include the following keyword
>
> Keyword Description
> Driver The full path of the driver dynamic-link library (DLL).
> Description The user-specified description of the data source.
> Server An Oracle connect string.For more information, see the SQL*Net documentation.
> UserID The name of the user on Oracle7 RDBMS.
> Password The password of the user on Oracle7 RDBMS.
> TranslationDLL The file name and path of a DLL that translates all data flowing between the application and the data source. (For information on how to specify a translation DLL, see the steps in the section below
> TranslationOption A 32-bit value that the Oracle7 32-bit ODBC driver passes to the translation DLL. The meaning of the value depends on the translation DL
> For example, an entry in the ODBC.INI key for a data source named My Oracle7 RDBMS that resides on the ORACLSRV server and uses the NetBIOS SQL*Net driver might b
>
> [My Oracle7 RDBMS]
> Driver=C:\WINNT35\SYSTEM32\SQO32_73.DLL
> Description=The Oracle7 database on my OS/2 workstation.
> Server=ORACLSRV
> UserID=JohnS

This does not answer all of your question, I know, but perhaps it will keep you looking.

--------------BD51727043251C7E57F7B19B

<HTML><BODY>
Scott wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>When using 16 bit SQL*Net, I could place a line in the oracle.ini file
<BR>which would point to a network copy of the tnsnames.ora file.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 32bit
<BR>SQL*Net doesn't create an oracle.ini file.&nbsp;&nbsp; How&nbsp; do I alter the default

<BR>tnsnames.ora location with 32bit SQL*Net running under Win95?
<BR>
<BR>Thanks,
<BR>Scott
</BLOCKQUOTE>

&nbsp;We don't use a pointer to a network copy of the tnsnames.ora file; rather, we put this file in our client's c:\orawin95\network\admin\ directory.&nbsp; According to our documentation here, the ini file info is now located in the registry (the following is copied from a page on the help file):

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>Initialization and Configuration Files (Advanced)

The Oracle7 32-bit ODBC driver uses only the ODBC.INI key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC section under the registry.&nbsp; Each section of the key that describes an Oracle data source can include the following keywords.

Keyword Description
Driver&nbsp; The full path of the driver dynamic-link library (DLL). Description&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The user-specified description of the data source. Server&nbsp; An Oracle connect string.For more information, see the SQL*Net documentation.&nbsp; UserID&nbsp; The name of the user on Oracle7 RDBMS. Password&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The password of the user on Oracle7 RDBMS. TranslationDLL&nbsp; The file name and path of a DLL that translates all data flowing between the application and the data source.&nbsp; (For information on how to specify a translation DLL, see the steps in the section below.) TranslationOption&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A 32-bit value that the Oracle7 32-bit ODBC driver passes to the translation DLL.&nbsp; The meaning of the value depends on the translation DLL. For example, an entry in the ODBC.INI key for a data source named My Oracle7 RDBMS that resides on the ORACLSRV server and uses the NetBIOS SQL*Net driver might be:

[My Oracle7 RDBMS]
Driver=C:\WINNT35\SYSTEM32\SQO32_73.DLL
Description=The Oracle7 database on my OS/2 workstation. Server=ORACLSRV
UserID=JohnS</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
This does not answer all of your question, I know, but perhaps it will keep you looking.
<BR>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------BD51727043251C7E57F7B19B--

--------------73E7FC11F86AD03CE1BE8D30

begin:vcard

fn:Courtney, Paul

n:Courtney;Paul

org:SUNY Stony Brook

adr:;;Zip-2635;Stony Brook;NY;11794;

email;internet:pcourtney_at_pine.vpcc.sunysb.edu

title:Lead Programmer/Analyst

tel;work:516-632-9241

tel;home:516-727-5051

x-mozilla-cpt:;0